If you’re a blogger, and perhaps even if you’re not, you’ve probably been introduced to the topic of keywords. These of course play a role in determining sites that come up during web searches.
Though I’m an analytical person by nature and education, I try not to spend too much time on blog-related statistics. It can be a big time waster, despite being very interesting and at times very useful. You just have to pick your spots and spend time wisely when looking at the performance of your blog, considering all the other things to do….like writing blog posts, for example!
That said, I recently took a look at the analytics of my web traffic, to see what people are searching for when they find my site. Now, I already knew (as any blog owner does) what the most popular keywords were, but hadn’t spent time looking at the more obscure ones. You know, the keywords that are the one-off types that randomly bring someone using Google to a website.
Many of the search terms that brought just one visitor to Squirrelers were logical variations of personal finance-related topics that are covered here. Others were quite eye opening….and humorous as well.
Here are some of the “interesting” search terms that apparently led a few folks to Squirrelers
- “How far do you need to take a squirrel to relocate?” Well, this website is about squirreling away money, not squirreling away squirrels! So the short answer is I don’t know.
- “How can I dress as the prince song raspberry beret for Halloween?” My question is: How did that get somebody to Squirrelers?! My second question is: How do you dress as a song?
- “Moving teen in the toilat”. Not sure what a “toilat” is, but YIKES anyway
- “Most Cleaver holiday gifts 2010”. I recommend going to a Leave it to Beaver site for better guidance on that topic.
- “Nothing brings me extreme excitement”. I’m sorry for this person!
- “Kicking Mom for $400,000”. I’m sorry for this person’s Mom!”
- “Wild Waitresses”. I’ve seen a crafty waitress, but never a wild one just yet
- “Reason men leave 50% tip to waitresses”. Perhaps this has something to do with hoping for the item above?
- “Play Pirates vs Ninjas and other things”. Wish I could help here, though I’ve never played that game with my kids.
- “What kind of a teen am I?” Don’t know, sorry.
- “Those who bring nothing to a potluck but eat like a pig”. I might be able to help by referring you to the post about The Extractor, to find out more about such characters
- “Being a cheapskate & raising a family”. Ok, this blog is a good resource for answers to that question!
- “Why don’t humans exterminate alligators?” Ok, this blog is not a good resource for answers to that question
- “Wierd animals”. That’s a wierd – err, I mean weird thing to look for here!
- “Rewarming breakfast tacos” I don’t recall ever posting anything about breakfast tacos. This sounds less than appetizing anyway!
- “We gonna have lots of fun eating crayons” I appreciate the enthusiasm, but this sounds even less appetizing than rewarming breakfast tacos.
- “Be easy and free when you’re drinking with me” Ok, while we’re on a positive and fun-loving roll here, I’ll quit while ahead
Clearly, it’s interesting how different people can find their way to a given website!
My Questions for You:
- If you’re a blog owner, what are some of the craziest things people have searched for when reaching your site?
- For everyone, blog owner or not – what’s the strangest place you’ve been directed to when using an unrelated or even innocuous search term?