Your Favorite Financial Accomplishment

We all have some moments in life that are particularly memorable, worthy of being classified as the best, most exciting thing we ever accomplished. When younger, that might mean getting accepted to college, graduating from college, or something along those lines. When older, this might mean getting married, or becoming a parent for the first time.

Clearly, as we get older, it’s not the money that can be classified as the best thing that happened to us, bigger picture.

That being said, let’s focus on money for the time being. With that in mind, let’s take that concept of “the best, most exciting thing we ever accomplished”, and apply it to the world of money!

For each of us, this might be something different. After all, no two people are exactly alike, and we have all had our own unique life experience. Examples that come to mind for some might be:

• Getting out of debt
  • Paying off a student loan
  • Getting a first paycheck
  • Getting a big promotion
  • Seeing one’s net worth reach a certain threshold

You get the idea.

For me, it was getting a job offer after graduate school (MBA) which was in the right city for me.

You see, before going to graduate school, I had worked for a few years after undergrad. Those years provided me with some excellent experience in terms of getting my feet wet as a professional and learning some skills. I worked hard, and put in some long hours at times, for very little pay.  I wanted more for myself – so I made the seemingly risky move to apply to graduate school with the hope of going full-time.

Getting away from the working world for two years, with a student loan and no guarantees, is not something that everyone wants to do. However, I took the plunge and ended up truly enjoying the experience. Of course, when the program is over, it’s time to go about getting a job and paying back that loan.

For me, getting that job offer in the right city, and at a salary that made my investment of time and money worth it – well, it probably ranks as my favorite financial accomplishment.

It was years ago, and it’s not like I was making big bucks by any stretch. However, it was so satisfying because I accomplished a goal and saw the results.

How About You?

What financial accomplishment of yours would you consider the “best, most exciting thing you’ve done?”

Why was it so impactful to you compared to other things you’ve done?

Comments

I think financially the best thing I never accomplished was paying my own way out-of-pocket for the last two years of school. Its been an eye opener.

It would have to be paying off the mortgage. I know many would say we’d have been better off putting that money into other investments. But for me, there’s nothing better than the freedom I feel from being without that debt and obligatory monthly payment. It’s worked out very well for us, but may not be the best strategy for everyone.

I would say I have two. The first was getting my post-MBA job at my target salary, despite the drop in the economy. (I got my MBA in 2008, accepted my new position in 2010). The second is ongoing- we are currently paying for C’s college courses out of pocket. No new debt. (Yay!)

shanendoah – very nice. Getting a post-MBA job during economic troubles is a really good accomplishment, one many would probably wish to have done.

My favorite accomplishment is to have maxed out my Roth IRA every year since 2006. It’s not ONE thing, but I am really proud of the consistency that I was able to achieve, starting from before I graduate college, to job changes, to a layoff, and now to just working for 1/2 of 2012 because I’m going back to school. My goal is to max out the Roth IRA every. single. year. No matter what.

Well Heeled – there’s something to be said for consistency, that’s a good accomplishement in itself. I agree, and can see why that would be something one would be proud of. It’s like the kid that never misses school for 6 years in a row – just the consistency alone is impressive.

I’d say getting that first “real job” paycheck even beats paying off the mortgage. With that first job, there is always so much more to look forward to. It’s that feeling of “look how far I’ve come from the hard work I put in..this is my reward.”

First Gen – I remmeber that check, for me. It seemed so unreal that I made what seemed to be such a decent amount. Now, looking back, it was peanuts.