There are a few different ways that visitors can reach a blog. Some come from links on other blogs, some from bookmarks, and others type in the blog’s url into their browser. Yet others come from “organic search” where they use a search engine (vast majority of the time it’s Google) and type in keywords to find what they’re looking for.
These keywords are often straightforward and logical. However, they’re often surprising and make you wonder how they led someone to your blog when you look at your site’s analytics. Other times, they’re just downright wacky!
Along those lines, back in March is published a post called “Crazy Keywords”.
Well, I once again scanned Google Analytics to see how people found my site in organic search. This time, I looked at keywords from March, April, and May. In these last 3 months, there were some wacky ways people found Squirrelers. Here are some that caught my eye, and got me thinking…..
- “3 siblings inherit 1 car” – Sounds like a tricky situation! Hint: carving it in 3 equal parts won’t help any!
- “Discover Card Death Policy” – YIKES! I’ll be sure not to miss a payment in that case!
- “How much per gal of gas 20 years ago” – Does this mean you’re looking for a nice gal made of gas, one who has gas, or what? Yeah, I know it means gallon, but apparently a part of my brain is stuck in 8th grade:)
- “1000 windfall what class am I?” – Well, that’s a nice windfall but it doesn’t make you wealthy..and exactly how did that get someone to this site?
- “airline tickets squirrel” – Perhaps you’re searching for a flying squirrel…there really is such a creature, after all!
- “apple vs. potato chip nutrition” – I’ll go out on a limb here and give the nod to apples
- “ban soda freedom” – I hope the sodas don’t have a revolution
- “bmw good enough for teenager” – if it’s not good enough, then get the kid a Rolls Royce…or read the Squirrelers article on What Kind of a Car Should a Teenager by Driving to get some good advice from readers
- “bubble gum machine squirrel” – I never knew squirrels had such talents
- “can an alligator kill a human being” – Call me crazy, but I think so….but if you need to search the web just to make sure, feel free!
- “can a grandma give money to his grandchildren” – Grandma giving to HIS grandchildren….I won’t ask
- “can beefaroni expire” – Scary question for some reason
- “can you think of another possible lurking variable that might affect the costs of subway fare or of a slice of pizza” – Seriously? People do search for the most unusual things, don’t they?
- “centenarian avoids responsibilities” – just what responsibilities does someone over 100 years old need to have, anyway?
- “how to live like a cheapskate” – you’re coming to the right place
- “how not to live like a cheapskate” – you may not be coming to the right place
- “my non mr fix it husband” – is someone bitter?
- “oldcouple gone extreme wild” – I don’t want to know about these people
- “sadistic lady owns you” – That sounds terrible! How did that get someone here, again?
- “saving money like a squirrel” – Welcome to the site you’re looking for!
- “stupid grandma”- Now that doesn’t sound very nice!
- “tooth fairy actually wild” – Who knew!
- “waitress wrote a happy face on my check” – I can help here: she isn’t into you at all, she just wants to get you to leave more money when tipping
- “why do we have a haircut” – why, why, WHY?
- “wild mad grandma” – watch out!
Which of these struck you as the silliest?
If you’re a blogger, have you checked on keywords – and if so, have you found any funny ones lately?